Monday, March 20, 2017

Reflect your light

     A few years ago, around this time of year, I was in a play. The play was made up of a bunch of little stories, and one of those stories got deep into my soul. It was called reflect the light. It goes something like this.

     At the last session on the last morning of a two week seminar on Greek culture the professor turned and made the ritual gesture: "Are there any questions?" He was greeted with silence. These two weeks had generated enough questions for a lifetime, but for now, there was only silence. "No questions?" The professor swept the room with his eyes. Alas from the back row, "Professor, what is the meaning of life?"
The usual laughter followed, and people stirred to go. The professor held up his hand and stilled the room and looked at the gentleman who asked the question for a long period of time, asking with his eyes if indeed the question was serious or in jest. "I will answer your question." Taking his wallet out of his hip pocket, he fished into the leather billfold and brought out a very small round mirror, about the size of a quarter. And what he said went something like this: "When I was a small child, during the war, we were very poor and we lived in a remote village. One day, on the road, I found broken pieces of a mirror. A German motorcycle had been wrecked in that place."I tried to find all the pieces and put them together, but it was not possible, so I kept only the largest piece; This one.  And by scratching it on a stone, I made it round. I began to play with it as a toy and became fascinated by the fact that I could reflect light into dark places where the sun would never shine, in deep holes and crevices and dark closets. It became a game for me to get light into the most inaccessible places I could find. "I kept the little mirror, and as I went through life, I would take it out in idle moments and continue the challenge of the game. As I became a man, I grew to understand that this was not just a child's game but a metaphor for what I might do with my life. I came to understand that I am not the light or the source of light. "I am a fragment of a mirror whose whole design and shape I do not know.
Nevertheless, with what I have I can reflect light into the dark places of this world, into black places, in the hearts of men and change some things in some people. Perhaps others may see and do likewise. This is what I am about. This is the meaning of life." And then he took his small mirror and, holding it carefully, caught the bright rays of daylight streaming through the window and slowly reflected them onto all that were in the room.

     Are you letting the light of Christ reflect off of the mirror in your heart? Are you letting God shine through you? That is what the beatitudes are about. Reflecting God's light into the World. That has always been the purpose of God, that when He came into our lives that He would fill our lives so much that He would shine through. That people would see Him in our attitudes and actions. That we would let Jesus Christ live through us. The beatitudes are a mirror that reflects God's light. The beatitudes are like a light bulb that can only get the power to shine when plugged into the power of God. The beatitudes were meant to be our attitudes. The Holy Spirit has come to live in us that He might live through us that He might shine through us, to meet the needs of a hurting, struggling world.

     The beatitudes are a self portrait of Christ, and we are called to transform our lives into the image of Him. Although He was God, with all the rights and privileges of a deity, He made himself with no reputation, He took on Himself the form of a servant, and made Himself in the likeness of man. He humbled Himself and became obedient to death, even death on the cross.

      Jesus mourned, He wept for Lazarus, He wept over Jerusalem, He was a man of sorrows and knew grief. He was meek, He hungered and thirsted for righteousness, and he was merciful. If you measure Christ's life to these qualities, You would find that He was a model of them all. It is all about Jesus, about opening up our lives so that we may be transformed into the image of Christ. Only by maturing in our faith, only by receiving the Holy Spirit, will we walk in authentic spirituality.

     According to Romans 8:29, God's purpose is for all Christians to take on the character and image of Christ. So, I think it is reasonable to state the following, The beatitudes describe qualities that are available to every Christian. They show the evidence of a yielded life. They are not produced by the Christian, but they are produced in the Christian. They tell us what the world will see reflecting in a life fully given to the Lord. The Beatitudes do not reflect individual qualities, but a complete mirror of life mastered by Jesus.
The evidence that one is surely reflecting their light, is that they show the beatitudes in them. Not on a perfect basis, but on a consistent basis.

     Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be given unto you. The happiest people I know are the ones who have yielded themselves to the grace of God......Everyday. Why? Because theirs is the kingdom of Heaven, they are comforted, they inherit the earth, they are filled, they obtain mercy, they see God, and others see God in them, for they are called the children of God.

     I heard a little boy get asked what a saint was, and he said a saint is someone who let's the light shine through. A saint, or a person pure in heart will let the light of God shine through. I want you to do something for me, get up from where you are at and go look into a mirror. Are you allowing God to fill your life so much that you are reflecting His light? If His light is not reflecting through you then take the first step and yield to Jesus, let the Holy Spirit transform you. Let a beatitude life fill you and make you whole. My friends, let God's light reflect through you, yield to His love and let His light shine through you.........Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment