Thursday, November 19, 2015

"Those People"

      This is probably going to piss some people off, and they will probably get mad at me and ignore me and walk away when they see me. But, I think it needs to be said. I have heard too many times people who attend my church refer to the homeless and poor who attend our community supper as "Those People". As in we don't want "those people" in our church. "Those people" are dirty and smelly and that doesn't look very inviting to new people coming into the church. Even though Jesus clearly tells us throughout the New Testament that that is one of the most important commandments in the bible.  "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." If you are not sure who your neighbor is, the parable about the good samaritan is a good place to start (Luke 10:25-37).

       If you have heard my first sermon or read my blog, you would know that I was for most of my life one of "Those People". I was shunned by the church my whole life, told that I was no good, and I would never amount to anything. After being told that so many times you begin to believe it and just give up. Instead we should be sharing God's love, letting them know that God does love them, that someone in this messed up world cares for them as a brother or sister in Christ. Knowing that someone cares, knowing that God loves them, that they are children of God can do miracles. I know first hand, because if it wasn't for a certain pastor, on a Christmas eve 8 years ago, I would not be a Christian today, I would not be writing this blog, or even trying to share God's love to as many people as I can. I wouldn't be a Stephens Minister, or a mentor at my daughter's school, or mentoring homeless and fatherless children. This all happened because that one pastor told me that Jesus loves me, that He was born in that manger and died on that cross for me. If you would have told someone I know, family or friend, that one day God would put me up in front of people and use me to share His promise of love, they would have laughed in your face. 

      I know first hand what it's like to have to ask for help. I know first hand what it's like to have to stand in line at some food bank. I know how demeaning it is to not be able to care for yourself. I know what it's like to go to school with last years fashions. I know what it's like when "Christian" people stand up and tell you that "We don't want you here", because your not worthy. Well guess what. Neither are they. But God gives it to everyone freely, no matter who you are. That is the message we as Christians need to be sharing. So, when you are talking about "those people," I take that as you are talking directly to me. And, If you don't want them in "your" church that means you don't want me in "your" church. But, I know Whose church it really is. Praise be to God.....

No comments:

Post a Comment