Monday, January 13, 2014

Why was Jesus Baptized

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented. (Mathew 3:13-15)

I have been asked by a few people that if Jesus was sinless, why did He need to be baptized? I will tell you why I think He was baptized and I hope it helps.

When John was baptizing people, it was a baptism of repentance. But, Jesus was sinless and had no need for repentance. Even John was surprised and confused by Jesus coming to him. John knew that he was a sinful man and in need of repentance himself, and was not fit to baptize the spotless Lamb of God. John said I need to be baptized by you, and you are coming to me? Jesus replies by saying it should be done because it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.

In my view there are few reasons why Jesus would come to John to be baptized. Jesus was about to start out on His ministry and it was suitable and proper for Him to be recognized by the one who baptized before Him. John was the voice crying in the wilderness that was prophesied by Isaiah, calling people to repentance to prepare them for the coming of the Messiah. By baptizing Jesus, John was letting all know that here is the One they have been waiting for, the Son of God. The One he had said would baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire. This is also when Jesus would recieve the Holy Spirit, when Jesus came out of the water the heavens opened up, and the Spirit of God descended on Him like a dove. There was a voice heard from above that said This is My Son, whom I love, with Him I am well pleased. (Mathew 3:16-17)

I think that the baptism of Jesus also shows that he identified with sinners, and by that baptism He was taking our place, Jesus took the place of sinners when He came to John the Baptist that day. It says in 1 Corinthians 5:21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. And His righteousness would fulfill all the requirements for sinners who could never hope to do so on their own.  Lastly, I think that by Jesus coming to John He was showing His approval, that it was approved by God in Heaven.

This is what I got out of my reading and studying of scripture. I have no formal training and just post what I feel in my heart. I hope this helps anyone in anyway to come closer to God and experience the love that He has for us....

No comments:

Post a Comment