Thursday, November 8, 2012

Grace

 I was doing some studying the other day about grace and decided to take a little mental break. On my way back from my break an idea popped into my head, I wanted to see what I could find on the subject on the internet, no matter how outlandish I thought it was or sounded, and what I found kind of disturbed me. I found site after site stating that grace was conditional and had to be earned......
 Grace cannot be earned, if we had to earn grace every single one of us would fall way short. I think Paul thought this was one of the most important things in his letters and he said it in Titus 3: 4-7.
But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
 In Gal.2: 16 it says,
16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.
 So, if grace is not earned and freely given, then it must be a gift. There it is right there, God's grace is a gift, freely given. I can't say it any better then that.
 Now that we have established that grace cannot be earned or is it deserved, that it is a gift from God, now what? We are to share His gift of grace with others. We must forgive and set aside our differences and share the Grace of God with every one. We are called to be the light on the hill, be an example to the everyone, to show that even if we have different views we can come together in community and let God use us to make our country or even the world a better place. Mathew 4: 4-16 says, 14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. As Christians we need to set our differences aside and join together in the one thing we all as Christians have in common, Jesus Christ is our Savior and Lord. If we are all forgiven and given grace then everything else is non-essential. We need to be the light on the hill showing that even though we have differences we can come together and work for the better. Because it is what Jesus tells us to do.
I am going to end with my favorite quote from the 3rd book of the Apprenticeship Series, the Good and Beautiful Community........If you have the love for Jesus in your heart, than take my hand and walk with me in fellowship..............Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment