Monday, July 9, 2012

We got Baptized

On October 20th, 2001 my daughter and I were baptized. being baptized at that time was just keeping my end of the deal, not out of faith. I had no idea what it meant to be baptized. I didn't even bother to find out or study anything in the bible. I went to church on Sunday, when I went, and listened half heatedly to the sermon and then went home.

 It went on pretty much like that for a year, my daughter was the hit because she was the only baby in the church. There were a few younger children and teenagers, but our congregation was pretty old. I had made a pretty good relationship with the pastors and started to look for other ways to get involved in the church when it was decided because of financial reasons that our church would blend together with 2 other churches and become one church.

 I think now that I look back that these 3 churches became complacent with where they were at as far as membership goes. There were not any new people coming to the church, and there was no discipleship going on. Anyway, the council in it's infinite wisdom decided it would be better to bring in new pastors to save money. Just like that I lost the connection that was getting me to church and had me looking for other things in the church.

 I started going less and less and eventually quit going all together. We had tried other churches, but none of them seem to draw us in. No one welcomed us and made us feel at home like that first time we walked in to our first church. I had broken my promise to God and eventually even forgot about it, but little did I know He had a plan for me and I don't think anyone could imagine how it would transform my life. I know I sure didn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment