Saturday, June 9, 2012

Pew Warmer

So those 9 months were the longest 9 months of my life. I was excited and scared and every other emotion you can think of. After my wife found out she was pregnant she wanted to move out of the city, so we rented a house and moved to the burbs. My wife's family is Lutheran so she wanted to find a Lutheran church to go to and when we went to find a church there happened to be one 2 blocks from our new house.

Since my wife looked for our new place to live while I was at work, I am not to sure if that was more than just a coincidence. When we went to check it out the pastor used a baseball story as an example in his sermon and later when we talked to him we found out he was a baseball fan, so I was like OK this church is cool. We went through the process of becoming members and started attending every Sunday, OK not every Sunday. When the Seahawks had an early game or NASCAR was on early I didn't go.

 I had never been baptized so talk of that started happening but I wanted to wait until our baby was born and be baptized together, but on the Sundays that I went to church I really didn't pay attention to the sermons or anything. I stood during songs but never sang or got into it at all. One of my good friends now calls it being a "pew warmer."

Anyway, right at about this same time we found out that  one of my sisters had developed breast cancer and was going to need a partial mastectomy. I took that pretty hard and started questioning God again, but I kept going to church kind of regularly, but I also kept popping pain killers and was also smoking a pack a day of Marlboros.
Oh yea, I was also freaking out trying to figure out how the hell I was going to be a dad .

No comments:

Post a Comment