Monday, May 21, 2012

Addiction Costs

The first 7 years of my marriage were very rocky at best. All I wanted to do was hang out and smoke pot. I treated my wife like I treated every other person in my life. I loved her with all my heart, but I didn't know how to show that love. She would try to do everything she could to make me happy and make our marriage work and I just kept lying to her and smoking pot.

 I had finally got a break after a bunch of dead end jobs. I met a guy who was willing to let me be his apprentice and learn the flooring trade. It was a great opportunity for me except for the fact that I would get him pot. Even at work we would get high, after lunch before going back to work at the job we were on. I was pretty much high from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. Now that I think back I used to cut myself a lot and have to go to the hospital to get stitches when I was a carpet installer, and it was always after lunch.

Anyway, into our 8th year she had finally had enough and we separated and I went to live with one of my sisters. After a few months of separation I developed appendicitis and had to have an appendectomy. After the surgery she let me come back home and we got back together. None of the issues we had or I had were ever settled and it was right back into the same old same old. I started my own flooring business and another 3 years went by that way,  but my addiction actually cost me that flooring business.

I went to work for this flooring company, which I thought at the time was a lucky break, but 3 months into that job I tripped going up some stairs while carrying a 10 ft roll of carpet on my back. It happened on a new construction site and I was the only one around. I felt 3 pops in my lower back and my left leg was completely numb. After what seemed like 20 or 30 minutes, but was probably 4 or 5, some of the feeling came back and I was able to drive myself to the hospital and meet my wife there. I was told that I had ruptured 3 disks in my lower back and the doctor wrote me a prescription for some Oxycontin and told me to make an appointment with my doctor. That was the start of another addiction in my life which led to other problems in my marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment